Saturday, October 2, 2010

Uses of Analogy

Analogies have all kinds of uses in writing and in thinking.
  • They are used to help the reader or learner move from something he knows to something he doesn't know.
  • They are used to show relationships.
  • They are used as ways to make fictional or poetic writing more vivid, as with similes and metaphors
GK Chesterton was a writer who relied on vivid analogies to make points.

Read -- see if you can find the analogies and what they attempt to make clearer to the reader.

In these days we are accused of attacking science because we want it to be scientific. Surely there is not any undue disrespect to our doctor in saying that he is our doctor, not our priest, or our wife, or ourself. It is not the business of the doctor to say that we must go to a watering-place; it is his affair to say that certain results of health will follow if we do go to a watering-place. After that, obviously, it is for us to judge. Physical science is like simple addition: it is either infallible or it is false. To mix science up with philosophy is only to produce a philosophy that has lost all its ideal value and a science that has lost all its practical value. I want my private physician to tell me whether this or that food will kill me. It is for my private philosopher to tell me whether I ought to be killed. I apologise for stating all these truisms. But the truth is, that I have just been reading a thick pamphlet written by a mass of highly intelligent men who seem never to have heard of any of these truisms in their lives.

Try

End of This Lesson

1 comment:

Put your initials or something here when you have finished the lesson.